John Solic MDORTHOPEDIC SURGEON
SHOULDER & KNEE ARTHROSCOPY, CARTILAGE REPAIR, SPORTS MEDICINE
Dr. Solic is a board certified, fellowship trained orthopaedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine, shoulder and knee arthroscopy, and cartilage repair. He has expertise in treating a wide variety of sports-related injuries of the shoulder, elbow, and knee. Dr. Solic emphasizes fitness and rapid return to sport and physical activity as his primary treatment philosophy. He performs minimally invasive, advanced arthroscopic procedures of the knee and shoulder to allow his patients to return to activity as soon as possible.
Prior to joining EmergeOrtho, Dr. Solic completed a shoulder and sports medicine fellowship at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City, ranked by U.S. News as the top orthopaedic hospital in the United States. During his fellowship, Dr. Solic gained extensive experience in the treatment of patients of all skill levels, from recreational to professional athletes from the NFL, NBA, and Major League Baseball. He also served as an assistant team physician for the Brooklyn Nets and for Iona College.
Dr. Solic's clinical interests include sports injuries, shoulder arthroscopy and reconstruction, knee arthroscopy and knee ligament reconstruction, and knee cartilage repair. He is currently a member of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, the International Cartilage Repair Society, and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
Dr. Solic is a native of State College, Pennsylvania. He earned his bachelor's degree from Princeton University, where he played football. He attended medical school at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and completed his orthopaedic surgery training at Duke University Medical Center. Dr. Solic remains an active athlete himself, spending his free time cycling, lifting weights, and golfing. He resides in Raleigh with his wife Samantha, and sons Colin, Tate, and Miles.
- Orthopaedic Surgeon, Emerge Ortho, 2011-present
Specialty: Sports Medicine; Shoulder, Knee, Elbow, Sports Injuries
B.A. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Princeton University, May 2001
- Medical Education
M.D. University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, May 2005
Post Graduate Education and Training
Duke University Medical Center Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, June 2005 – June 2010
Hospital for Special Surgery Sports Medicine and Shoulder Fellowship, August 1st 2010-July 31st 2011
- Princeton University Football Varsity Letter Winner, 2000
- Sigma Xi Research Society, Elected Associate Member, 2001
- Princeton University Class of 1939 Research Grant: Investigation of Serotonin Antagonist effects on Rat Model of Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, 2000-2001
- Duke Orthopaedic Program Most Outstanding Junior Resident, as voted by Chief Resident Class, 2008
- Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma Best Teaching Resident Award Program: “Best Third-Year Ortho Teaching Resident” as voted by Program Director, July 2008
- William S. Ogden Jr. Piedmont Traveling Fellowship, 2008
- Sponsored Attendance and Podium Presentation of Paper at Annual Duke Orthopaedic Residency and Fellowship Alumni Meeting
- Berkes M, Garrigues GG, Solic JM, Van Zeeland N, Shourbaji N, Brouwer K, Jupiter JB, Ruch DS, Obremski WT. Locking and Non-locking Constructs Achieve Similar Radiographic and Clinical Outcomes for Internal Fixation of Intra-articular Distal Humerus Fractures. HSS Journal. 2011 October. Volume 7:3.
- Ward WT, Rihn JA, Solic J, Lee JY. A comparison of the lenke and king classification systems in the surgical treatment of idiopathic thoracic scoliosis. Spine. 2008 Jan 1;33(1):52-60.
- Voigt C, Solic J, Ciccotti M, Imhauser C, Nguyen J, Ying L, Stasiak ME, El-Amin S, Deng X, Rodeo S. The Effect of Cyclic Axial Loading on Tendon-Bone Healing & Remodeling at the Tendon-Bone Interface in an In-Vivo Animal Model. AOSSM Annual Meeting Poster Presentation. July 12-15th. Baltimore, MD
- Voigt C, Delos D, Wanivenhous F, Solic J, Stoner K, Alzoobaee S, Maher S, Rodeo SA. Meniscus Replacement: Current Status of Allograft Transplantation and Synthetic Materials. AAOS Annual Meeting Scientific Exhibit. February 7th-11th, 2012. San Francisco, CA
- Voigt C, Solic J, Alzoobaee S, Ciccotti MC, Nguyen J, Imhauser C, Fox AJ, Stasiak ME, Ju X, Deng X, El-Amin S, Rodeo SA. Effect of Timing and Magnitude of Mechanical Loading on Tendon-Bone Tunnel Healing in a Rat Model. Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting Poster Presentation. February 4-7th, 2012. San Francisco, CA
- Voigt C, Ciccotti MC, Alzoobaee S, Solic J, Nguyen J, Imhauser C, Yiang L, Fox AJ, Stasiak ME, Ju X, Deng X, El-Amin S, Rodeo SA. The Effect of Cyclic Axial Loading on Bone Remodeling at the Bone-Tendon Interface in an In-Vivo Animal Model: a Micro-Computed Tomographic and Histologic Analysis. Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting Poster Presentation. February 4-7th, 2012. San Francisco, CA
- Solic JM, Waters TS, Goyal R, Stinnett SS, Olson SA. Combined Arthroscopic and Mini-open Treatment of Femoroacetabular Impingement. Podium Presentation. AAOS Annual Meeting. March 12th, 2010. New Orleans. LA.
- Solic JM, Waters TS, Goyal R, Stinnett SS, Olson SA. Combined Arthroscopic and Mini-open Treatment of Femoroacetabular Impingement. Poster Presentation. AOA Annual Meeting. June 9th-12th, 2010. San Diego, CA.
- Solic JM, Zura RD, Broderick JM, Sharp LM, Tanner SL, Southeastern Fracture Consortium. A Multi-Center Review of Operative Note Documentation for IMN Fixation of Femur Fractures. Podium Presentation. Piedmont Orthopaedic Society Annual Meeting. May 7th to 11th, 2008. Aventura, FL.
- Broderick JM, Sharp LM, Tanner SL, Southeastern Fracture Consortium (Solic JM). A Multi-Center Review of Operative Note Documentation. Podium Presentation. South Carolina Orthopaedic Society Annual Meeting, August 7th-10th, 2008, Kiawah Island, SC.
- Radley JJ, Solic JM, Jacobs BL. Role of the 5HT1A receptor in seizure induced hippocampal granule cell genesis and the development of Epilepsy in the Rat. Poster Presentation. Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting. Nov 10-15th, 2001. San Diego, CA.
- Solic JM. An Examination of the Effects of 5HT1A Antagonism on Mossy Fiber Sprouting, Spontaneously Recurrent Seizures, and Neurogenesis in the Pilocarpine Model of Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. Thesis Presented to Princeton University, May 2001.
- Solic JM. The Collateral Ligaments of the Knee. Sports Medicine for the Resident. Editors Moorman CT, Kirkendall D. World Scientific Publishing. In Press.
- Solic JM, Rodeo SA. Tendon to Bone Healing in ACL Reconstruction. Structural Interfaces and Attachments in Biology. Editors Thomopoulos S, Genin G, Birman V. Springer Publishing. In Press.
- Solic JM, Jones K, Williams RJ. Outcomes of Cartilage Lesions in the National Basketball Association.
- Reviewer, Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 2011-present
- Assistant Team Physician New Jersey Nets 2010-2011
- Assistant Team Physician Iona College 2010-2011
- Assistant Team Physician Duke University Football 2008
- Assistant Team Physician Duke University Men's Basketball 2007-2008
- Assistant Team Physician Duke University Athletics: Men's Soccer, Wrestling, Women’s Lacrosse 2006-2008
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Member 2005-present
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, Member 2010-present
- Arthroscopy Association of North American, Member 2010-present
- International Cartilage Repair Society, Member 2011-present
- Sigma Xi Research Society, Elected Associate Member, 2001
- American Medical Association, Member 2001-present
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons - 2013
- United States Medical License Examination
Step 1 – June 2003
Step 2 CS – October 2004
Step 2 – November 2004
Step 3 - February 2006
3100 Duraleigh Rd
Raleigh, NC 27612
7850 Brier Creek Parkway
Raleigh, NC 27617
120 William Penn Plaza
Durham, NC 27704